Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Marshmallow fondant

I refuse to buy fondant. Why? I mean doesn't it look so pretty? Well yes it does, but it is a flavorless, silky, preservative! If I wanted to preserve the inside of me I would eat a jar of maraschino cherries because I like the way those taste better :).

After playing with this recipe and putting my spin on it I think this is just as beautiful, much more flavorful, and healthier (as healthy as a bowl of sugar could get?).

Her notes said the recipe yield
was 2 1/4 pounds of fondant.... I didn't weigh it.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, divided

Directions (as altered)

  1. Heat water in the bottom of a double boiler. Empty the bag of marshmallows into the top and place over heat.
  2. Melt marshmallows and cook for 1 minute more. Carefully stir the water and vanilla extract into the hot marshmallows, and stir until the mixture is smooth. Be sure that the mixture is very hot before transferring. If it is just barely melted it will be very hard to work with. I let mine sit over the water for a good 5 minutes or so.
  3. Transfer to a kitchen aid or mixer. Using the kneading hook, slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar (a cup/ little at a time) until you have a sticky dough.
  4. As you knead, the dough will become workable and pliable. Continue kneading until the fondant is smooth and no longer sticky to the touch, 5 to 10 minutes.This is the point where if you are going to add coloring you need to separate the dough into as many portions as there will be colors. If you wait till later it is still possible to add color but very messy and tedious.
  5. Skip this step if not adding color. Add the coloring a few drops at a time (I really like the paste coloring from the craft store, but regular food coloring works too) alternating with more powdered sugar. When you have the right color and a smooth dough that isn't sticky you are ready for the next step.
  6. Form the fondant into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. (I'm impatient, I chilled it for an hour or two and it came out fine)(chilling is important though, I think it's because the excess liquid is soaked into the sugar making a more dough like product?) To use, allow the fondant to come to room temperature. Coat your hands in Crisco, I know, it's gross, but it works! Kneed/ work the dough until it is soft and pliable. Roll it out on a flat surface dusted with confectioners' sugar.
Just a few more thoughts or need to knows about this recipe:

If you want it to look right you still have to cover the cake/ cookies/ cupcakes with frosting to give the fondant a truly smooth appearance.

For an extra touch of gloss use your fingers dipped in Crisco to smooth out the fondant and give it a shine. Also good for touching up tears. Pull fondant together and smooth together with fingers dipped in Crisco.

For extra smoothness on a sheet cake I used a flat ruler to scrape gently against/ flatten out my fondant.

Also fun to use are the shimmer powders available at the craft store to add a nice sheen/ sparkle.

~~ Sarah ~~


P.S. The original recipe is on allrecipes.com and has some very cool pictures of different creations using this recipe/ a modified version of this recipe.

P.S.S. I'm working on a party planner portfolio. Eventually, I will be a party coordinator and would love the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment