Monday, February 20, 2012
I found this recipe on Pinterest and I love it. It is really easy, refreshing, and classy. I would make this as an appetizer for an Italian or Greek meal.
Tomato basil french bread.
1 pint chopped grape or cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1) In a bowl, combine tomatoes, basil leaves, olive oil, and red-wine vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Top bead with topping.
2) Thinly slice french bread, lightly buttered and toasted.
Friday, February 17, 2012
I got this recipe from Panera and I really liked it. (http://mypanera.panerabread.com/recipes-view.php?id=70)
I changed a few things:
1) I used french bread over cinnamon toast. I think it would be really good with both.
2) I used frozen blueberries over fresh. It is to expensive out of season. I actually though the frozen worked really well. Since it is in the filling and is mixed up and cooked anyways, you couldn't tell it wasn't fresh.
3) I didn't soak it as long. Maybe 15 minutes. I think it still turned out well.
Blueberry Stuffed French Toast
1 loaf Panera Bread Cinnamon Raisin Bread
8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese spread, at room temperature
4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1.Cut bread into 1 1/4-inch-thick slices (you should have about 8 slices). Cut a slit through the top crust of each slice to form a deep pocket.
2.In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and orange zest. Stir in blueberries and spoon filling equally into bread pockets. Lay stuffed slices of bread in a shallow 4-quart baking dish, such as a 15-inch-by-10-inch dish.
3.In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, salt, and remaining the 1 tablespoon of sugar. Pour mixture evenly over bread, tilting the dish to completely coat the bread. Let sit until the liquid is absorbed, at least 30 minutes at room temperature or covered in the refrigerator overnight.
4.Coat a large skillet or griddle with cooking spray, oil, or butter, and heat over medium-high heat. Add the Panera Bread Cinnamon Raisin Bread and cook until nicely browned and crisp outside, about 5 minutes per side.
Makes 6 servings.
Prep: 15 minutes (plus 30 minutes or overnight soaking)
Cook: 10 minutes
Nutrition (per serving): 489 calories, 19 g protein, 61 g carbohydrate, 20 g fat, 259 mg cholesterol, 443 mg sodium, 3 g dietary fiber